2018 female World Athlete of the Year finalists (© Getty Images / Jean-Pierre Durand)
With just 15 days to go until the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018, the IAAF is delighted to reveal the names of the five finalists for the 2018 IAAF Female Athlete of the Year award.
The five athletes, who represent five countries from four Area associations, have illustrated excellence across nearly all athletics disciplines in 2018.
The finalists are (in alphabetical order):
Dina Asher-Smith (GBR)
- European champion and world leader at 100m, 200m and 4x100m
- Second over 100m in the IAAF Diamond League final and IAAF Continental Cup
- Commonwealth Games 4x100m gold and 200m bronze
Beatrice Chepkoech (KEN)
- World steeplechase record by eight seconds, backed up by the third-quickest mark of all time
- Winner of seven out of eight steeplechase finals including the IAAF Continental Cup, African Championships and IAAF Diamond League final
- Commonwealth Games silver at 1500m
Caterine Ibarguen (COL)
- IAAF Continental Cup winner, IAAF Diamond League champion and Central American and Caribbean champion at both long jump and triple jump
- World lead and unbeaten in eight finals at triple jump
Shaunae Miller-Uibo (BAH)
- Unbeaten across five events in 15 races (13 finals and 2 preliminaries), including a 200m/4x100m double at the IAAF Continental Cup
- World lead and three wins at 400m with the world’s fastest time since 2009
- Commonwealth Games and IAAF Diamond League champion at 200m
- World bests at indoor 300m and 150m straight
Nafissatou Thiam (BEL)
- European champion, world lead and unbeaten at heptathlon
- World number three at high jump
Voting procedure for 2018 World Athletes of the Year
A three-way voting process determined the finalists.
The IAAF Council and the IAAF Family cast their votes by email, while fans voted online via the IAAF's social media platforms. The IAAF Council’s vote counted for 50% of the result, while the IAAF Family’s votes and the public votes each counted for 25% of the final result. Voting closed on 12 November.
The male and female World Athletes of the Year will be announced live on stage at the IAAF Athletics Awards 2018 on 4 December in Monaco.
The male finalists will be announced tomorrow, Tuesday 20 November.