The role of the Vetting Panel is to decide whether persons seeking to be, or who are, World Athletics Officials are eligible to take office.
The Vetting Panel comprises three persons who must be independent of World Athletics, at least one of whom must be a lawyer. One of these three members serves as the Chair of the Vetting Panel.
Don Mackinnon (NZL) Chair, Esi Schimming-Chase (NAM) and Professor Mark Pieth (SUI) were reappointed to the Vetting Panel by Congress for a further term of 4 years commencing at the conclusion of the 2019 Congress meeting and ending at the first Council meeting after the 2023 Congress meeting.
• Inaugural IAAF Vetting Panel Chair 2018-2019
• Managing Partner of SBM Legal – Employment and Sports Law Firm
• Diverse sport law background across multiple sports including athletics
• Highly experienced practising advocate in United Kingdom and New Zealand
• Appointed to a number of Government related panels and investigations including 2016 review of the effectiveness of New Zealand’s Sports Tribunal and dispute resolution
• Chair of New Zealand’s largest sports club, The Blues LLP
• Director of New Zealand Cricket
• Previous governance roles with two Sport New Zealand and High Performance Sport NZ
• Experience of the Court of Arbitration for Sport